The Frescoes of Piero della Francesca
The Frescoes of Piero della Francesca (Les Fresques de Piero della Francesca), H. 352, is an orchestral work by Bohuslav Martinů.
It pays homage to the cycle of frescoes The History of the True Cross by Piero della Francesca, which Bohuslav Martinů had admired at Arezzo in 1954. He was inspired particularly by The Meeting of Solomon and the Queen of Sheba and by Constantine's Dream.
- Andante poco moderato
- Poco allegro
- Royal Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Rafael Kubelik in 1958 (EMI).
- Orchestre de la Suisse Romande conducted by Ernest Ansermet (Cascavelle).
- Prague Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Charles Mackerras in 1982 (Supraphon) available to hear on Youtube
- Orchestre National de France conducted by James Conlon in 1991 (Erato).
- Prague Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Vladimír Válek in 1993 (Praga).
- BBC Symphony Orchestra conducted by Andrew Davis (Warner).
- fr:Les Fresques de Piero della Francesca, French Wikipedia (in French)
|This article about a classical composition is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|