Template:POTD/2018-10-08

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Hereford Cathedral
Hereford Cathedral is the cathedral church of the Anglican Diocese of Hereford. The site of the cathedral became a place of worship in the 8th century or earlier. However, the oldest part of the current building, the bishop's chapel, dates to the 11th century. The cathedral is dedicated to two saints, Saint Mary the Virgin and Saint Ethelbert the King. The latter was beheaded by Offa, King of Mercia in the year 794, and he was buried at the site of the cathedral. The cathedral contains the Mappa Mundi, a mediaeval map of the world created in around 1300 by Richard of Holdingham. The map is listed on the UNESCO Memory of the World Register.

This picture shows the choir of the cathedral.

See also: Nave viewed from the west · Nave viewed from the east · Lady ChapelPhotograph: Diliff


This image was chosen at random from a selection of 4. (view another image)

See also[edit]