July 2018 Lombok earthquake
President Joko Widodo inspected the damage on the worst hit area after an earthquake struck Lombok
|UTC time||2018-07-28 22:47:37|
|Local date||29 July 2018|
|Local time||06:47:37 WITA|
|Depth||14.0 km (8.7 mi)|
|Fault||Flores Back Arc Thrust Fault|
|Areas affected||West Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia|
|Max. intensity||VIII (Severe)|
A Mw 6.4 earthquake struck the island of Lombok on the morning of 29 July 2018 at a shallow depth of 14 km (8.7 mi). Widespread damage was reported in the area, and authorities confirmed that 20 people were killed in the earthquake while hundreds were injured.
Lombok lies on the destructive plate boundary between the Australian Plate and the Sunda Plate. To the east of Bali the plate boundary starts to involve a collision between the leading edge of the Australian continent and the eastern part of the Sunda Arc and the western end of the Banda Arc. In response to this collision, the arc itself has begun to be pushed over the back-arc Bali Basin along a major thrust fault, the 500 km (310 mi) long Flores Thrust. The Lombok earthquake has been attributed to movement along the Flores Thrust.
The earthquake struck on Sunday, at 06:47 local time, at a shallow depth of 6.4 km (4.0 mi). Residents reported severe shaking near the epicentre, with multiple structures reportedly collapsed. Dozens of houses were destroyed and widespread damages were reported. The shaking lasted for around 10–20 seconds. Local residents have said it was the strongest quake to have ever hit Lombok. The earthquake was felt as far away as Denpasar, Bali. and in Karangasem Regency, Bali, a temple collapsed and a local court was damaged.
Landslides struck the north portion of Mount Rinjani, where routes popular with hiking tourists are located. Authorities confirmed that 826 hikers were trapped on the mountain and waited to be rescued.
Authorities confirmed that 276 moderate aftershocks from 5.0–5.5 Mw were recorded by the Indonesian Agency for Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics (BMKG). The largest aftershock at a magnitude 5.7 Mw recorded at 10:16 local time. On 3 August, officials confirmed that more than 500 aftershocks had been recorded.
Authorities confirmed that a Malaysian tourist was killed by a falling wall. The Indonesian National Board for Disaster Management (BNPB) confirmed that 10 people were killed and 40 people were injured. The government confirmed that 18 Malaysians were affected by the earthquake.
In the aftermath of the earthquake, blackouts occurred throughout Lombok and telecommunications went down. The National Electricity Company (PLN) stated that they would temporarily cut the electricity in East Lombok Regency for examination. They later announced that normal operation would resume within hours.
The government immediately closed the Mount Rinjani National Park. Hiking and other activities were banned in the area due to fear of landslides. Indonesian President Joko Widodo, who had planned to visit West Nusa Tenggara prior to the earthquake, ordered Muhammad Zainul Majdi, the Governor of West Nusa Tenggara to immediately deploy search and rescue personnel to the affected areas.
Authorities stated on 29 July 2018, that East Lombok Regency had suffered the most damage. Sembalun District and Sambelia District were regarded as the worst affected areas in the regency. Hundreds of tents were set up while dozens of search and rescue personnel, including members from the Indonesian Armed Forces, police and other government institutions, were deployed onto the declared disaster zone. On 29 July 2018, Bali Red Cross announced that they would send medical experts and volunteers to Lombok. Indonesian Social Minister Idrus Marham confirmed that the government would send multiple aids to the victims.
On 30 July, Joko Widodo, the Indonesian President, Muhammad Zainul Majdi the Governor of West Nusa Tenggara, and Idrus Marham, the Social Minister visited survivors and victims of the earthquake and sent condolences to the affected families. Majdi declared a state emergency for 3 days. They distributed books and other supplies to the survivors and later examined the damage in the area. Joko Widodo later announced that the government would help the victims to rebuild their houses and infrastructures in Lombok. On 31 July he stated that the government would immediately provide compensation of at least 50 million rupiah for each damaged or destroyed building. The renovation of the damaged buildings would be assisted by the Indonesian National Armed Forces.
Spokesman of the BNPB, Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, stated that more than 1,000 structures across Lombok were either damaged or destroyed. BMKG advised people not to enter their homes as more aftershocks are expected in the following days.
The Malaysian government through their Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad have announced that aid would be sent to the Indonesian people who were affected by the earthquake, with Mercy Malaysia also began to distribute essential relief items for the victims. The Malaysian Global Peace Mission (GPM) have sending a team to identify the urgent needs by the victims, with an initial RM10,000 aid and additional RM50,000 aid will be brought the following week by their second aid team.
Search and rescue
The Indonesian National Search and Rescue Agency (SAR) announced that there were two main locations where trapped hikers were located. The first one was in Segara Anak Lake while the second one was at the basecamp. As of 30 July more than 700 hikers were on the mountain, of whom 100 were from Thailand, the United States, and other countries. SAR stated that they had prepared two helicopters for the evacuation process and that at least 500 hikers had been evacuated from the mountain.
There were confusions among officials on the number of hikers on the mountain, as it was reported that most hikers were not registered by their tour guides. Several media stated that around 600 hikers were on the mountain, while another stated that there were around 500 people. Officials later finalized the total number to more than 1,200 hikers of whom around 700 of them were foreigners from 26 countries, the majority are Thais. Government officials stated that around 300 Thais were on the mountain during the disaster.
On 1 August, all 1,226 hikers had been rescued from the mountain.
- "Gempa di Sumbawa Akibat Sesar Naik Flores" (in Indonesian). Kabar24. Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- "Sebanyak 564 Gempa Susulan Guncang Lombok Hingga Sabtu, 4 Agustus 2018" (in Indonesian). Tribun News. Retrieved 7 August 2018.
- Liputan6.com. "Korban Jiwa Gempa Lombok Bertambah Jadi 20 Orang". liputan6.com. Retrieved 5 August 2018.
- "Dampak Gempa Lombok: 17 Jiwa Meninggal dan 10 Ribu Orang Mengungsi - Tirto.ID".
- ANSS. "Lelongken 2018 : M 6.4 - 1km SW of Lelongken, Indonesia". Comprehensive Catalog. U.S. Geological Survey. Retrieved 29 July 2018
- "Asia Pacific: Multiple disasters affect millions in the region". ReliefWeb. Retrieved 2 August 2018.
- "BMKG Nyatakan Gempa Lombok Magnitudo 7 sebagai yang Utama dari Gempa Pekan Lalu". KOMPAS (in Indonesian). 5 August 2018. Retrieved 6 August 2018.
- ANSS: Lelongken 2018 , Regional Information (as of 30 July 2018)
- "10 Detik Gempa 6,4 SR Mengguncang Lombok, Sejumlah Bangunan Dilaporkan Rusak" (in Indonesian). Tribun News. 29 July 2018.
- "Gempa Lombok Terasa Hingga Sumbawa dan Bali" (in Indonesian). Kompas. 29 July 2018.
- "GEMPA LOMBOK TIMUR TERASA HINGGA KE BALI, BNPB: ADA KORBAN JIWA" (in Indonesian). Mojok. 29 July 2018.
- "Dampak Gempa Lombok, Pura di Karangasem Bali Roboh" (in Indonesian). Okezone. 29 July 2018.
- "Gempa Lombok, Banyak Pendaki Gunung Rinjani Diduga Menjadi Korban" (in Indonesian). Tempo. 29 July 2018.
- "Gempa Lombok, 826 Wisatawan di Sembalun Menunggu Evakuasi" (in Indonesian). Kabar24. 29 July 2018.
- "Gempa NTB-Bali: Pasien RSUD Selong Lombok Evakuasi Diri" (in Indonesian). Tirto. 29 July 2018.
- "Indonesia earthquake: 10 dead on tourist island Lombok". BBC. 29 July 2018.
- "Gempa Lombok, 1 Turis Malaysia Tewas" (in Indonesian). Kompas. Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- "Korban Tewas Gempa Lombok Bertambah Jadi 10 Orang" (in Indonesian). Okezone. Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- "18 wisatawan Malaysia terdampak gempa NTB, satu meninggal dunia" (in Indonesian). Antara. Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- "Korban Tewas Gempa Lombok Bertambah Jadi 16 Orang" (in Indonesian). Suara. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- "Ada Gempa, PLN Padamkan Sebagian Wilayah NTB" (in Indonesian). Detik. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- "Gempa Guncang NTB, Infrastruktur Listrik Aman" (in Indonesian). Detik. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- "Pendakian ke Gunung Rinjani Ditutup Sementara Menyusul Longsor akibat Gempa di Lombok" (in Indonesian). Tribun News. Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- "Jokowi Tetap Kunjungi NTB Meski Sempat Diguncang Gempa 6,4 SR" (in Indonesian). Detik. Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- "TGB: Jokowi Instruksikan BNPB Tangani Dampak Gempa di NTB" (in Indonesian). Detik. Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- "Korban gempa NTB sementara dirawat di tenda pengungsian" (in Indonesian). Antara. 29 July 2018. Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- "PMI Bali Siagakan Tim Medis untuk Bantu Tangani Gempa NTB" (in Indonesian). Detik. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- "Gempa Lombok, Kemensos Langsung Kirim Bantuan Logistik dan Tagana" (in Indonesian). Gatra. 29 July 2018. Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- "Naik Heli, Jokowi dan TGB Kunjungi Lokasi Gempa di Lombok Timur" (in Indonesian). Detik. 30 July 2018. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- "TGB Jenguk Korban Gempa di RS Soedjono Lombok Timur" (in Indonesian). Detik. Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- "Jokowi dan TGB Tinjau Rumah Roboh Akibat Gempa NTB" (in Indonesian). Detik. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- "Gubernur NTB tetapkan tiga hari masa tanggap darurat gempa" (in Indonesian). Antara. Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- "Jokowi Bantu Renovasi Rumah Korban Gempa NTB Rp 50 Juta Per Unit" (in Indonesian). Detik. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- "Gempa Lombok, TNI akan Bantu Perbaiki Rumah yang Rusak" (in Indonesian). Tempo. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- "Gempa Lombok: Setidaknya 14 orang meninggal dunia, 162 orang luka-luka, 1.000 lebih rumah rusak" (in Indonesian). BBC Indonesia. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- "BMKG Imbau Masyarakat Tenang dan Waspada Gempa Susulan di Lombok" (in Indonesian). Tribun News. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- "Malaysia to send aid to Indonesian quake victims, says PM". Bernama. The Edge Markets. 30 July 2018. Retrieved 3 August 2018.
- "Mercy sends aid to Lombok, Laos". The Sun. 31 July 2018. Retrieved 3 August 2018.
- "Global Peace Mission to send survey team to Lombok". Bernama. The Malay Mail. 31 July 2018. Retrieved 3 August 2018.
- "Indonesia issues tsunami warning after 7.0 quake off Lombok island". Reuters. 5 August 2018. Retrieved 5 August 2018.
- "M 6.9 - 3km SSE of Loloan, Indonesia". 5 August 2018. Retrieved 5 August 2018.
- "Tim Gabungan Lanjutkan Evakuasi Pendaki yang Terjebak di Rinjani" (in Indonesian). Detik. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- "2 Helikopter Disiagakan Evakuasi Ratusan Pendaki di Gunung Rinjani" (in Indonesian). Detik. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- "Total 723 WNA Turun Gunung Rinjani Pasca-Gempa Lombok" (in Indonesian). CNN Indonesia. Retrieved 3 August 2018.
- "WNA yang Terjebak di Rinjani Sebagian Besar WN Thailand" (in Indonesian). Kumparan. Retrieved 3 August 2018.
- "300 Wisatawan Berhasil Dievakuasi dari Rinjani, Ini Reaksi Menpar" (in Indonesian). Okezone. Retrieved 3 August 2018.
- "Gempa Lombok: Semua pendaki yang terjebak di Gunung Rinjani sudah dievakuasi" (in Indonesian). BBC Indonesia. Retrieved 3 August 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2018 Lombok earthquake.|