Fusiliers Commandos de l'Air
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Fusiliers Commandos de l'Air (French for "Fusilier commandos of the Air (force)") of France's Armée de l'Air (French Air Force) are equivalent to the United Kingdom's RAF Regiment, Germany's Objektschutzregiment der Luftwaffe or the United States Air Force Security Forces. They are airmen armed and trained as infantry, who provide ground defense of air bases and secure forward base areas. They also participate in forward air control, combat search and rescue missions, and as air assault infantry.
- 1 Structure
- 1.1 Air Commando Training Squadron (escadron d'instruction des commandos de l'air)
- 1.2 Protective Squadrons (escadrons de protection)
- 1.3 Air Parachute Commandos (commandos parachutistes de l'air)
- 2 See also
- 3 References
- 4 External links
The Fusiliers-Commando units are part of the Intervention and Security Force Brigade (Brigade aérienne des forces de sécurité et d'intervention).
Air Commando Training Squadron (escadron d'instruction des commandos de l'air)
This training unit, founded in 1974, manages four different courses ;
- Air Fusilier course (brevet de fusilier de l'air) : basic formation for Other Ranks in Protective Squadrons.
- Air Parachute Fusilier course (brevet de fusilier-parachutiste de l'air) : second-level formation for all ranks. It includes parachute training.
- Air Parachute Commando course (brevet de commando-parachutiste de l'air) : third level formation for all ranks. Upon its successful completion, airmen can petition to enter Air Parachute Commando n° 20 and 30.
- Air Specials Forces Commando course (brevet de commando des forces spéciales air) : fourth and final level. Upon its successful completion, airmen can petition to enter Air Parachute Commando n° 10.
Protective Squadrons (escadrons de protection)
Responsible for the protection of defense-sensitive points of the Air Force and air bases, intervention in the context of overseas operations or special missions, participation in the tasks assigned to Special Operations Command. Employed in unit protection or intervention. The 34 Protective Squadrons man patrols to deter, detect and intervene to neutralize and delay, by force if necessary, any malicious act against facilities of the Air Force, air bases on the mainland (Dijon, Saint-Dizier, Luxeuil, Nancy, Drachenbronn, Évreux, Villacoublay, Orleans, Avord, Tours, Creil, Brest, Mont-de-Marsan, Cazaux, Cognac, Orange, Istres, Solenzara, Lyon, Paris) and on external sites : (Chad, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Djibouti, United Arab Emirates, French Guiana, Reunion, New Caledonia ...).
Air Parachute Commandos (commandos parachutistes de l'air)
The three Air Parachute Commando fulfill specific missions requiring advanced training and specialities.
Air Parachute Commando n° 10
The Commando n° 10 is a specials forces unit acting under the umbrella of the Commandement des opérations spéciales.
Air Parachute Commando n° 20
The main missions of Commando n° 20 are long-range protective patrols in armored cars, protection from potential low-level air attacks in helicopters and forward air control.
Air Parachute Commando n°30
Comparable foreign units
-  Les fusiliers commandos. French Defence Ministry page (French)