Free University of Bozen-Bolzano
Libera Università di Bolzano
Freie Universität Bozen
Università Liedia de Bulsan
|Latin: Universitas Studiorum Bauzanensis|
The Free University of Bozen-Bolzano (Italian: Libera Università di Bolzano, German: Freie Universität Bozen, Ladin: Università Liedia de Bulsan) is a university primarily located in Bolzano, Italy. It was founded on 31 October 1997 and is organized into five Faculties.
The Free University of Bozen-Bolzano (unibz) aims to offer students a multilingual, practice-oriented education that meets the demands of the local and the European labour market. Lectures and seminars are held in German, Italian and English. The only exception is the Faculty of Education, which offers German, Italian and Ladin language speaking students separate training sections. The university offers study programmes ranging from bachelor's degrees to doctorates.
The emphasis of teaching is to provide theoretically sound and practice-orientated training. A large proportion of educational activities take place as seminars, lectures given by guest speakers, practical training and workshops. Within the framework of the academic exchange program students are encouraged to spend one or more semesters at universities abroad.
- 1 Campus
- 2 Rectors
- 3 Faculty of Economics and Management
- 4 Faculty of Education
- 5 Faculty of Computer Science
- 6 Faculty of Science and Technology
- 7 Faculty of Design and Art
- 8 European Master Programmes
- 9 Studium Generale
- 10 Research
- 11 Library
- 12 Students activities
- 13 Bibliography
- 14 See also
- 15 References
- 16 External links
The university has three campuses: at Bolzano, Brixen and Bruneck. The buildings in Bolzano were designed by the architects Matthias Bischoff and Roberto Azzola of Zurich and those at Brixen by Regina Kohlmeyer and Jens Oberst from Stuttgart. The latter won in 2005 the 9th architecture prize of the city of Oderzo.
The rectors of the university have been Alfred Steinherr, an economist from Luxembourg, from 1998 to 2003, the Swiss linguist Rita Franceschini, from 2004 to 2008, and the German sociologist Walter Lorenz, from 2008 to 2016. The Italian engineer Paolo Lugli is the actual rector since 2017.
Faculty of Economics and Management
The Faculty of Economics and Management is based at Bozen-Bolzano and Bruneck-Brunico. It offers three bachelor and three master's degree programs.
- Bachelor in Economics and Management
- Bachelor in Economics and Social Sciences PPE (Philosophy, Politics and Economics)
- Bachelor in Tourism, Sport and Event Management (in Bruneck-Brunico)
- Master in Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- Master in Economics and Management of the Public Sector
- Master in Accounting and Finance
- PhD in Management and Economics
The research clusters of the faculty are: 
- Tourism, Marketing and Regional Development
- Law, Economics and Institutions
- Financial Markets and Regulations
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- Quantitative Methods and Economic Modelling
Faculty of Education
The Faculty of Education is in Brixen-Bressanone and the following courses are active:
- Bachelor in Social Work
- Bachelor for Social Education
- Bachelor in Communication Sciences and Culture
- Master in Primary Education (5 years)
- Master in Innovation and Research for Social Work and Social Education (IRIS)
- Master in Musicology
- PhD in General Pedagogy, Social Pedagogy and General Education
Main research areas at the faculty are:
- educational and development projects and processes for different age groups and contexts
- social dynamics, social cohesion,citizenship and solidarity systems
- languages and communication for a multicultural and multilingual society
Faculty of Computer Science
The Faculty of Computer Science is based in Bozen-Bolzano and has the following courses:
- Bachelor in Computer Science and Engineering
- Master in Computer Science
- Master in Computational Data Science
- European Master in Computational Logic
- European Master on Software Engineering
- PhD in Computer Science
The faculty's research centres are:
- Research Centre for Information and Database Systems Engineering (IDSE)
- Research Centre for Knowledge and Data (KRDB)
- Research Centre for Software and Systems Engineering (SwSE)
Faculty of Science and Technology
The Faculty of Science and Technology has the following active courses:
- Bachelor in Agricultural and Agro-Environmental Sciences
- Bachelor in Industrial and Mechanical Engineering
- Bachelor in Wood Engineering
- Master in Industrial Mechanical Engineering
- Master in Energy Engineering
- Master in Environmental Management of Mountain Areas
- International Master in Horticulture Science
- Master in Viticulture, Enology and Wine Marketing
- PhD in Mountain Environment and Agriculture
- PhD in Sustainable Energy and Technologies
- Food Engineering and Biotechnology
The main research areas of the faculty are: 
- Agricultural Sciences
- Energy Resources and Energy Efficiency
- Food Sciences
- Fundamental Sciences for Innovative Applications
- Management and Technologies for Mountain Environments
- Industrial Engineering and Automation
Faculty of Design and Art
The Faculty of Design and Art offers the following courses:
- Bachelor in Design and Art - Major in Design
- Bachelor in Design and Art - Major in Art
- Master in Eco-Social Design
The main research areas of the faculty are: 
- Visual culture and its impact on society
- Phenomena, processes and results of three-dimensional projects
- Theories, forms and languages of design, art and visual culture
European Master Programmes
The Faculty of Computer Science at the Free University of Bozen-Bolzano is very active in this way and is amongst the research centers recognized by the European Union as a leader in this program. There are two European Master Programmes in the area of computer science running in this university, under Erasmus Mundus Programme:
917 projects of basic and applied research have been conducted within the university since 1998.
The University has scientific and technological laboratories at each of its sites, at the NOI Techpark, a local technological and innovation hub, and at the Versuchszentrum Laimburg, a agronomy research institute.
According to library ranking system issued by German library networks (BIX project) in 2009, this university has the second best library amongst German-speaking states (Germany, Switzerland, Austria and South Tyrol in Italy).
- The members of the student advisory board are elected every two years, however, between two elections a petition for the representative could be announced. Student representative are members of the University Council, the Academic Senate, the Faculty Council, the Course Council, the Equal Opportunities Committee and the Didactic Joint Committee.
- The South Tyrolean Student association is the most important South Tyrolean association for students. Beside the head office in Bozen there are seven branch offices in Austria and Italy. The sh.asus was founded in 1955 as a non-profit association. It represents South Tyrolean students studying abroad and students in South Tyrol.
- The M.U.A., Movimento Universitario Altoatesino, is an association which has been recognize by the Free Province of Bozen-Bolzano and has been founded in the 1993. Its principal purposes are "to defend and ease the right to study of the students and the working students of the university" and "to organize conferences, debatings, conventions, cultural, social and university seminar". The association operates in Bozen-Bolzano and promotes the project WEBZ, "the first web-tv of South-Tyrol made by youngs for youngs."
- Kikero is a cultural association, which has been founded in 2000 and organizes activities such as the debating club and the movie nights. Furthermore, Kikero is also responsible for the university magazine "Kflyer".
- SCUB, Sports Club University Bozen-Bolzano, is the students´ association that mainly deals with sports activities and that organizes every year the SNOWDAYS, Europe's biggest wintersport event for students from all over Italy and the EU. SCUB comprises also the UniParty team, which is in charge of throwing university parties for unibz students.
- A further student association is the Bozen – Bolzano local committee AIESEC, which organizes international exchange programmes to permit university students to get in touch with the working world.
- PRO – Students for Business also encourages students to connect with the working environment through the enhancement of economic and business activities.
- The most recent student association is the Alumni Club that comprises graduates of the Free University of Bozen – Bolzano.
- Hans Karl Peterlini & Hannes Obermair (eds), Universitas Est. Essays and documents on the history of education in Tyrol/South-Tyrol, 2 Vol. (Bozen-Bolzano University Press, Raetia Verlag, Bozen/Bolzano 2008), ISBN 978-88-7283-316-2
- Klaus Kempf, Franz Berger, The Library as a Service Point. The Case of the Bozen University Library: Planning, Building, Financing, in «Liber Quarterly», 10, 2000, pp. 108–116. (Download PDF 52 KB)
- Universitätsreden an der Freien Universität Bozen / Discorsi d'ateneo alla Libera Università di Bolzano / Public Talks at the Free University of Bozen, 6 voll., Bolzano, Bozen-Bolzano University Press, 2005-ss. ISBN (ISSN) 2494716-7
- List of universities in Italy
- Facts & Figures
- Nickenig, Christoph. "Perspektiven der Sprachausbildung an einer mehrsprachigen Universität." Bi- and Multilingual Universities: European Perspectives and Beyond. Conference Proceedings Bolzano-Bozen, 20–22 September 2007
- Progetti delle tre sedi Archived 13 April 2016 at the Wayback Machine.
- Christine Plieger-De Biasi, Thomas Simma, Freie Universität Bozen – Libera Universita di Bolzano – Free University of Bozen-Bolzano. The Architecture Competition for the Main Site, Vienna-Bolzano, Folio, 1998. ISBN 978-3-85256-105-9
- IX Premio architettura Oderzo Archived 10 November 2013 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Lub, Lorenz è il rettore. Con 6 voti batte Fedrizzi". 19 July 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-21.[permanent dead link]
- Faculty of Economics and Management
- Faculty of Education
- Computer Science research page
- Science and Technology research page
- Faculty of Design and Art
- STOL: Parte lo Studium Generale
- "The library ranking according to BIX Project" Archived 1 December 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
- sh.asus | Südtiroler Hochschülerschaft | associazione studenti universitari sudtirolesi Archived 18 October 2016 at the Wayback Machine.. Asus.sh (2013-06-21). Retrieved on 2013-10-05.
- [dead link]
- Open Access Digizeitschriften[permanent dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Freie Universität Bozen - Libera Università di Bolzano.|
- The official website of the unibz
- The faculty of design's student blog
- The library of the Free University of Bozen-Bolzano
- Pagina dello Sports Club Universitario