|Elevation||428 m (1,404 ft)|
|Population (2004 census)|
Arabic: دوماني, translit. Doumani|
Arabic: دوميّ, translit. Doumi
Douma (Arabic: دوما, translit. Dūmā) is a city in Syria. Its centre is about 10 km (6 mi) northeast of the centre of Damascus. Being the centre of Rif Dimashq governorate (which completely surrounds the Damascus Governorate), the town is also the administrative centre of Douma District. Douma is a major city of the region known as Ghouta, for the peri-urban settlements to the east and south of Damascus.
During the Syrian Civil War, Douma has been a major flashpoint and witnessed numerous demonstrations against the Syrian government and armed clashes against the Syrian Army and Security forces during the early stages of the conflict.
On 29 June 2012, the Syrian Army was accused of committing a massacre in Douma, where more than 50 people were killed.
Douma is the main city of the Siege of Eastern Ghouta, begun in April 2013, isolating 400,000 people in a 100 square kilometre area. UN and Red Cross aid convoys were able to reach Douma with food and supplies once in 2018.
On 7 April 2018, a suspected chemical attack was carried out in the city, attributed to Syrian President, Bashar al-Assad by many Western nations including the United States and the United Kingdom. On 14 April 2018, the Syrian government forces entered the city after the evacuation deal saw rebels go to the Turkish-controlled northern Syria.
- "population of Douma, syria 2004 census". CBSSYR. Retrieved 2013-11-17.[permanent dead link]
- "Syria's Douma 'wants its dead'". TVNZ. 3 April 2011. Archived from the original on 29 October 2013. Retrieved 29 December 2011.
- "Arab League monitors stoke anti-government protests in Syria". USA Today. 29 December 2011. Retrieved 29 December 2011.
- Erika Solomon, Reuters (29 June 2012). "Syrian civil war: Douma siege kills nearly 200, including young children and entire families". National Post.
- Di Giovanni, JANINE (18 October 2012). "Denial Is Slipping Away as War Arrives in Damascus". Tge New York Times. Retrieved 20 October 2012.
- "UN convoy delivers aid to Eastern Ghouta amid 'calm'". BBC News. 9 March 2018.
- Reuters Editorial (22 August 2015). "Over 50 people killed in Syrian missile strikes at rebel areas near Damascus". Reuters.
- "MAPPING MILITANT ORGANIZATIONS: Jaish al-Islam". Stanford University. 31 August 2017.
- "Who are the rebel groups fighting Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's government forces in Eastern Ghouta?" SBS News. 2 March 2018.
- "Reports of Douma evacuation deal 'not true': council member". Al-Jazeera. 1 April 2018.
- "Which rebel groups are fighting in Syria's eastern Ghouta?". Deutsche Welle. 20 February 2018.