Dahyan air strike
|Dahyan air strike|
|Part of Saudi Arabian-led intervention in Yemen|
|Location||Dahyan, Sa'dah governorate, Yemen|
|Deaths||At least 51 people (per Houthi's Health Ministry)|
At least 48 (per the Red Cross) |
At least 79 people (per Houthi's Health Ministry)
|Perpetrators||Saudi Arabian Armed Forces|
On 9 August 2018, Saudi Arabian expeditionary aircraft bombed a civilian school bus passing through a crowded market with U.S made bombs in Dahyan, Saada Governorate, Yemen, near the border with Saudi Arabia. At least 40 children were killed, all under 15 years old and most under age 10. Sources disagree on the exact number of deaths, but they estimate that the air strike killed about 51 people.
According to Save the Children, at the time of the attack the children were on a bus heading back to school from a picnic when the driver stopped to get refreshment at the market in Dahyan. Most of the children were under age 10, according to the International Committee of the Red Cross. A Red Cross – supported hospital in Saada received the bodies of 29 children under 15 years of age and 48 wounded individuals, 30 of whom were children. A total of 40 children were killed in the strike.
According to a resident of Dahyan, the warplanes had been hovering over the area for more than an hour before they attacked. Another witness said, "Our shops were open and shoppers were walking around as usual. All those who died were residents, children and shop owners." According to Yahya Hussein, a teacher who was traveling separately from the bus, "The scene can't be described—there was body parts and blood everywhere."
The attack came to light after videos were posted on Twitter depicting the remains of the bus and the children. Images of the victims were aired on the Al Masirah TV network, highlighting dramatic images of blood and debris-covered children lying on hospital stretchers. The Saudi Arabian coalition later issued a statement saying that they conducted an airstrike in Saada but were targeting Houthi missile launchers. The mass funeral of the children was aired on the Al Mariah TV network, with thousands of Yemenis participating.
The official Saudi Arabian press agency called the strike a "legitimate military action" which targeted those who were responsible for a rebel missile attack on the Saudi Arabian city of Jizan on Wednesday. They also claimed that the airstrikes "conformed to international and humanitarian laws" and that Houthis were using children as human shields. Yemeni journalist Nasser Arrabyee reported that there were no Houthis in the vicinity of the strike. A Houthi spokesman said that the coalition showed "clear disregard for civilian life", as the attack had targeted a crowded public place in the city. During the mass funeral of the children, many signs were visible protesting against the United States, Saudi Arabia, and Israel.
On 1 September 2018, the Saudi Arabian lead coalition admitted mistakes, expressing regrets and pledged to hold those responsible for the strikes accountable.
The United States Department of State called for Saudi Arabia to conduct an investigation into the strike. The United Kingdom's Foreign and Commonwealth Office expressed "deep concern", called for a transparent investigation, and called upon all parties to prevent civilian casualties and to co-operate with the UN to reach a lasting political solution in Yemen. UK Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt defended the Saudi–British alliance as important in fighting Islamists.
The head of the Yemeni delegation of the International Committee of the Red Cross tweeted, "@ICRC_Yemen-supported hospital has received dozens of dead and wounded. Under international humanitarian law, civilians must be protected during conflict."
- "Death toll of airstrike on Yemeni children's bus rises to 51, 79 wounded". www.efe.com. Retrieved 2018-08-10.
- "ICRC Yemen on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2018-08-10.
- "Schoolchildren riding bus among dozens killed in Saudi airstrike in Yemen | CBC News". CBC. Retrieved 2018-08-10.
- "Yemen: Dozens of civilians killed in school bus attack". Al Jazeera. 10 August 2018. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- "Strike on Yemen bus kills 29 children". BBC News. 9 August 2018. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- Al-Mujahed, Ali; Raghavan, Sudarsan (9 August 2018). "Airstrike by U.S.-backed Saudi coalition on bus kills dozens of Yemeni children". The Washington Post. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- Borger, Julian (2018-08-19). "US supplied bomb that killed 40 children on Yemen school bus". the Guardian. Retrieved 2018-09-17.
- Bomb that killed 40 children in Yemen was supplied by the US, August 17, 2018, CNN
- Dehghan, Saeed Kamali (9 August 2018). "Dozens dead in Yemen as bus carrying children hit by airstrike". The Guardian. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- Marsri, Lena (9 August 2018). "Saudi-led coalition airstrike kills dozens of children on bus in Yemen". ABC News. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- "Airstrike on children's bus is 'a low point' in Yemen war – UNICEF". Sky News. Retrieved 2018-08-10.
- "Saudi coalition airstrike in Yemen kills 50, rebels say". Retrieved 2018-08-13.
- "At least 29 children killed by Saudi-led air strike on Yemeni school bus". Middle East Eye. Retrieved 2018-08-13.
- Reuters. "Saudi air strikes in Yemen described as 'grotesque'". Retrieved 2018-08-13.
- Elbagir, Nima; Abdelaziz, Salma; McKenzie, Sheena; Munayyer, Waffa (2018-08-13). "The schoolboys in Yemen were chatting and laughing. Then came the airstrike". CNN. Retrieved 2018-08-14.
- Post, The Jakarta. "Protests at funeral for Yemeni children killed in coalition strike". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 2018-08-14.
- "Saudi Coalition Bombs School Bus in Yemen, Killing Dozens". Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- Beech, Eric (10 August 2018). Zargham, Mohammad, ed. "U.S. calls on Saudi-led coalition to probe Yemen attack". Reuters. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- "'Mistakes' admitted in Yemen bus attack". BBC News. 2018-09-01. Retrieved 2018-09-02.
- "Reported air strike on school bus in Sa'ada, northern Yemen". www.unicef.org. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- "UN chief condemns air strike that hit school bus in northern Yemen, killing scores of children". UN News. 9 August 2018. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- "Alistair Burt on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2018-08-11.
- Fitch, Asa (2018-08-10). "Calls Grow for Investigation of Deadly Attack in Yemen That Hit School Bus". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2018-08-11.
- "Foreign Secretary defends UK-Saudi ties after Yemen bus deaths". BBC News. 22 August 2018.
- "Saudi Coalition Airstrike Hits School Bus in Yemen, Killing Dozens". Retrieved 2018-08-10.
- "ICRC Yemen on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2018-08-10.
- "Saudi coalition airstrike hit school bus killing dozens of children in Yemen". The Independent. Retrieved 2018-08-10.