|Birth name||Athena Sophia Rhossa Alejandro Tibi|
December 2, 1988|
|Genres||J-pop, pop, pop rock, R&B|
|Labels||Viva Entertainment (2002 - 2006 / 2011)|
She is best known for her role as Kristine Santos in the 2009 film A Journey Home by Paul Soriano and as Reena San Jose in the 4th Wall Theater Company production of Rivalry, by Jaime Del Mundo and Ed Gatchalian, based on the Ateneo–La Salle rivalry between two universities in the Philippines. She announced her debut live show in Japan on November 18, 2012.
Athena was born in Manila, The Philippines, but moved to Japan at age 3 when her family relocated due to her father's work. She grew up in Koshigaya in Saitama, then returned to Manila age 10, having mastered Japanese alongside English and Tagalog.
Athena next appeared as Cristy in 2004's Lastikman by director Mac Alejandre, based on the character created by Mars Ravelo. The story tells how the rubber-tree powered superhero (played by Mark Bautista) fights back against bullying and captures the heart of Lara (Sarah Geronimo), the girl he loves.
In 2006 Athena played Princess Gabrielle in a production of Gabrielle by Joachim Emilio Antonio, which won the second prize for a One-Act Play at the Palanca Awards, awarded for literary achievements since 1950.
During 2007 Athena starred in a series of plays and musicals, including Oscar Wilde's play The Importance of Being Earnest as Cecily Cardew, The Girl Who Was Plugged In as P.Burke and High School Musical Onstage as Sharpay Evans, alongside actor Sam Concepcion.
Athena's next project was as the lead in Jerry Bach's romantic comedy Pizza Girl, premiering in June 2008.
In 2009 Athena appeared alongside Joem Bascon and Toni Gonzaga in Paul Soriano's A Journey Home, described as "an inspirational indie movie with central themes of forgiveness, family solidarity and the upholding of moral values." Athena played Kristine, one of two children reunited with their estranged father after their mothers death, who is the more accommodating to her father's return to rebuild relationships. The premiere was held at the SM Megamall in Ortigas Center on October 3, 2009.
In 2012 Athena played Reena San Jose in the 4th Wall Theater Company production of Rivalry, based on the Ateneo–La Salle rivalry between two universities in the Philippines, which opened to unanimously positive reviews such as by The Philippine Star; "Filipinos are naturally gifted singers, particularly, the lead female protagonist whose vocal timbre reminded me of a younger Lea Salonga." Set in 1968, the story follows the tensions as the Ateneo Blue Eagles and the La Salle Green Archers prepare to meet in a basketball final, Athena's character described as "a beautiful Maryknoller named Reena San Jose, who, after enduring heartbreak, promises herself that she’ll never get involved with another guy again."
Athena appeared on the Viva Television show Star for a Night broadcast on IBC, as a semi-finalist. Presented by renowned singer and actress Regine Velasquez, and eventually won by Sarah Geronimo, Athena sang Celine Dion's That's the Way It Is. Athena was then spotted and signed to Viva Entertainment, based in Quezon City in 2002.
In 2004 Athena was a guest on MTV's MTV Lokal, hosted by KC Montero, where she represented Levi Music Festival, singing an original song "OK" written by Adrienne Sarmiento and renowned Filipino drummer Nino Regalado. The song was then included on an album release titled 1st Levi Music Festival.
In April 2005, Athena joined 4-member unit Fairgame, releasing one 4-track self-titled CD. Fairgame promoted in malls across The Philippines as an opening act for various Viva Entertainment artists.
Athena's own YouTube channel includes her renditions of songs by popular J-Pop singers such as Yui and Yuna Ito. In October 2012, she announced her debut solo live performance in Japan on November 18, 2012, at Shibuya Lounge Neo in Tokyo. Aside from it, she also submitted demo CDs to major Japanese labels such as Pony Canyon and Sony Music Japan.
Feature films and television
|Year||Film Name||Character Name||Director/ Producer|
|2004||Sarah the Teen Princess||Tiny (recurring cast)||ABS-CBN|
|2008||Pizza Girl||Beth||Jerry Bachs|
|2009||A Journey Home||Kristine Santos||Paul Soriano|
|2011||Kuya Alvin||Lani||Roselyn Perez|
|Year||Program Name||Channel||Character Name|
|2003||Master Showman||GMA Network||Special Guest as herself|
|2006||ASAP (variety show)||ABS-CBN||Special Guest as herself|
|2007||ASAP (variety show)||ABS-CBN||High School Musical cast|
|2007||SOP (Philippine TV series)||GMA Network||High School Musical cast|
|2007||Shall We Dance?||GMA Network||High School Musical cast|
|2007 - 2008||The Sweet Life||Q||Special Guest as herself|
|2009||ASAP (variety show)||ABS-CBN||N.O.A.H. cast|
|2011||The Daily Top 5||Viva TV||VJ|
|Year||Production Name||Character Name||Producer|
|2005||Pendragon||Morgan Le Fay||Trumpets Playshop|
|2006||Wicked||Elphaba Thropp||Trumpets Playshop|
|2006||New Yorker in Tondo||Kikay/Francesca||UA&P|
|2006||Gabrielle||Princess Gabrielle||Dulaang Roc / UA&P|
|2007||The Importance of Being Earnest||Cecily Cardew||Kultura / UA&P|
|2007||The Girl Who Was Plugged In||P.Burke||Trumpets Playshop|
|2007||High School Musical Onstage||Sharpay Evans||Stages|
|2008||Much Ado About Nothing||Hero||UA&P|
|2008||Sierra Lakes||Arlene Reyes||Dulaang Roc / UA&P|
|2009||You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown||Sally Brown||Kultura / UA&P|
|2009||Legally Blonde||Vivienne Kensington||Trumpets Playshop|
|2009||N.O.A.H. – No Ordinary Aquatic Habitat||Ensemble||Trumpets / Stages|
|2010||You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown||Sally Brown||Kultura / UA&P|
|2011||Hercules' 12||Athena/ Artemis||Young Artists Productions|
|2012 - 2014||Rivalry: Ateneo-La Salle the Musical||Reena San Jose||4th Wall Theater Company|
|2015||Singapura||Farida||4th Wall Theater Company|
- 3YO - Ketchup Song (2003)
- Viva Popstars Christmas album (2003)
- 3YO (2004)
- Levi Celerio Music Festival (2004)
- Fairgame (2006)
- Athena (2012) - Available on Spotify
- Annie S. Alejo (2012-03-07). "Building on the future of Philippine theater". Manila Bulletin. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- Ang, Walter (2012-01-23). "New musical celebrates long-running Ateneo-La Salle rivalry". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 2013-06-29.
- Sarah, The Teen Princess on IMDb
- "Literary Works - One-Act Play". Palanca Awards. 2009-09-22. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- "The Importance of Being Earnest". Multiply. 2007-01-29. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- "Back-to-School, Back-to-'High School Musical'". Click The City. 2007-06-15. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- "Pizza Girl the Movie". Multiply. 2008-06-03. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- Rowena Joy A. Sanchez (2009-09-22). "Toni Gonzaga, Paul Soriano keep it professional in 'A Journey Home'". Manila Bulletin. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- Vanessa A Balbuena (2009-11-27). "DIRECTOR PAUL SORIANO: Taking the positive route". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- Valle, Jocelyn (2009-10-28). "'A Journey Home' inspires even unbelievers". Manila Bulletin. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- Fidel Antonio Medel (2009-10-08). "A Journey Home carries a message of hope for troubled families". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- Orsal, Noel (2009-10-08). "RED CARPET WATCH: A Journey Home". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- EJ (2010-01-19). "You're A Good Man Charlie Brown". Manila Reviews. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- Tamano, Adel (2012-02-19). "Five reasons to watch 'Rivalry'". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- Abby F. Castelo & Alexis M. Dy (2012-02-06). "From the court to the stage". The GUIDON. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- "Ketchup Song". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- "3Yo". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- Baby A. Gil (2004-04-28). "The 1st Levi finalists album". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- "Fairgame". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- Marie (2007-09-05). "Kultura Young Artists Series 2007". Multiply. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- Tibi, Athena (2012-10-26). "Athena Tibi" (YouTube).
- "ATHENA". SomethingDrastic. Retrieved 2012-10-28.