2012 Kentucky Derby
Official logo for the 2012 Kentucky Derby
|Date||May 5, 2012|
|Winning horse||I'll Have Another|
The 138th Kentucky Derby was the running of the Kentucky Derby in 2012, and took place on May 5 at 6:24 pm Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) at Churchill Downs. Due to sponsorship, the race was known as the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands. The race was televised in the United States on the NBC television network.
Prior to the race, the field was considered "unusually strong"; four time Derby winning trainer D. Wayne Lukas called it the "best bunch I've seen in a long time". The race was won by I'll Have Another, ridden by Mario Gutierrez, with a time of 2:01.83, while favorite Bodemeister finished second and Dullahan was third.
A record crowd of 165,307 was on hand at the track for the race.
Thunderstorms the night before led to the cancellation of morning training for the riders, and, at 8:00 am EST, the track was labeled "sloppy". However, closer to the race, conditions were upgraded to "fast", the best condition for a dirt track. My Adonis was drawn into the race as an also eligible entry. If there were any entries that scratched, My Adonis would have been able to start in the race.
Bodemeister, ridden by Mike E. Smith, was leading at the quarter-mile mark with a time of 22.32 seconds. Bodemeister maintained his lead at the half-mile mark, at 45.39 seconds. During the final furlong, I'll Have Another overtook Bodemeister to win by one and a half lengths. I'll Have Another was the first Kentucky Derby winner to win from post barrier 19, while Mario Gutierrez won on his first attempt in the Kentucky Derby. Union Rags, the second-favorite to win at 9–2 odds, finished seventh.
All-sources wagering on the Kentucky Derby race was also record setting, up 18.8% from 112.0-million to $133.1-million. The previous record for all-sources wagering on the Kentucky Derby race was $118.4-million and was established in 2006.
The 138th Kentucky Derby Payout Schedule
|19||I'll Have Another||US$32.60||$13.80||$9.00|
- $2 Exacta: (19–6) paid $306.60
- $1 Trifecta: (19–6–5) paid $1,532.80
- $1 Superfecta: (19–6–5–13) paid $48,046.40
The field was announced on May 2, 2012.
|Position||Post||Horse||Jockey||Trainer||Morning Line Odds||Final Odds||Stakes|
|1||19||I'll Have Another||Mario Gutierrez||Doug O'Neill||12–1||15.3||$1,459,600|
|2||6||Bodemeister||Mike E. Smith||Bob Baffert||4–1||4.2||$400,000|
|3||5||Dullahan||Kent Desormeaux||Dale Romans||8–1||12.1||$200,000|
|4||13||Went The Day Well||John R. Velazquez||H. Graham Motion||20–1||30.6||$100,000|
|5||8||Creative Cause||Joel Rosario||Mike Harrington||12–1||11.9||$60,000|
|6||20||Liaison||Martin Garcia||Bob Baffert||50–1||56.2|
|7||4||Union Rags||Julien Leparoux||Michael R. Matz||9–2||5.1|
|8||7||Rousing Sermon||Jose Lezcano||Jerry Hollendorfer||50–1||40.7|
|9||14||Hansen||Ramon A. Dominguez||Michael J. Maker||10–1||13.1|
|10||10||Daddy Nose Best||Garrett Gomez||Steve Asmussen||15–1||14|
|11||2||Optimizer||Jon Court||D. Wayne Lukas||50–1||42.4|
|12||11||Alpha||Rajiv Maragh||Kiaran McLaughlin||15–1||19.6|
|13||16||El Padrino||Rafael Bejarano||Todd Pletcher||20–1||29.4|
|14||17||Done Talking||Sheldon Russell||Hamilton Smith||50–1||39.4|
|15||18||Sabercat||Corey Nakatani||Steve Asmussen||30–1||37.8|
|16||15||Gemologist||Javier Castellano||Todd Pletcher||6–1||8.6|
|17||9||Trinniberg||Willie Martinez||Bisnath Parboo||50–1||44.9|
|18||12||Prospective||Luis Contreras||Mark E. Casse||30–1||57.9|
|19||3||Take Charge Indy||Calvin Borel||Patrick B. Byrne||15–1||11.90|
|DNF||1||Daddy Long Legs||Colm O'Donoghue||Aidan O'Brien||30–1||26|
- Margins – 1 1⁄2 lengths, neck
- Time – 2:01:83
- Track – Fast
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2012 Kentucky Derby.|
- "11th Race, Churchill Downs, May 5, 2012" (PDF). Equibase. May 5, 2012. Archived (PDF) from the original on May 26, 2012. Retrieved May 5, 2012.
- "Watch the Derby". Churchill Downs Incorporated. April 30, 2012. Retrieved May 2, 2012.
- "138th Kentucky Derby: Strong field makes for unpredictable finish". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Block Communications. May 5, 2012. Retrieved May 6, 2012.
- "I'll Have Another wins 138th Derby". ESPN. May 5, 2012. Retrieved May 5, 2012.
- Harris, Beth (May 5, 2012). "I'll Have Another wins Kentucky Derby". The Associated Press. yahoo.com. Retrieved May 6, 2012.
- "Kentucky Derby 2012: Stormy Weather At Churchill Downs Cancels Morning Training". The Huffington Post. May 5, 2012. Retrieved May 6, 2012.
- Cherwa, John (May 5, 2012). "Churchill Downs track now 'fast'; Union Rags the favorite". Los Angeles Times. Tribune Company. Retrieved May 6, 2012.
- Privman, Jay (May 4, 2012). "Kentucky Derby also-eligible My Adonis is scratched; Oaks Lily fails to draw into Kentucky Oaks". Daily Racing Form. Retrieved May 6, 2012.
- Cherwa, John (May 5, 2012). "I'll Have Another comes from behind to win Kentucky Derby". Los Angeles Times. Tribune Company. Retrieved May 6, 2012.
- Staff writers (May 5, 2012). "Kentucky Derby day sets records for handle, attendance". Thoroughbred Times. Retrieved May 8, 2012.
- Hammonds, Evan (May 2, 2012). "Bodemeister draw post 6". ESPN. ESPN. Retrieved May 3, 2012.
- on YouTube