1988 in the Philippines
Jump to navigation Jump to search
1988 in the Philippines details events of note that happened in the Philippines in the year 1988.
- President: Corazon Aquino (PDP-Laban)
- Vice President: Salvador Laurel (UNIDO)
- Chief Justice:
- Philippine Congress: 8th Congress of the Philippines
- Senate President: Jovito Salonga (Liberal)
- House Speaker: Ramon V. Mitra, Jr. (LDP, 2nd District Palawan)
- January 18 – Local elections was held in the Philippines.
- June 10 – Comprehensive Agrarian Reform Program was signed by President Aquino to provide land reform for Filipino farmers.
- September 18 – Generics Act of 1988 (Republic Act 6675) was also signed by President Aquino in order to require and ensure the production of an adequate supply, distribution, use and acceptance of drugs and medicines identified by their generic name.
- October 18 – The Interior Bases Agreement between the Philippines and U.S was signed.
- October 23–24 – Typhoon Unsang struck into Luzon resulted in a widespread flooding and landslides. The storm and flood brought scores of fatalities.
- November 7 – The Tower of Power transmitter was inaugurated by President Aquino and GMA Network board of directors following the transmitter's opening and a musical special.
- September 17–October 2 – The Philippines participated in the 1988 Summer Olympics held in Seoul, South Korea and ranked 61st. Only boxer Leopoldo Serantes received his bronze medal and placed third in boxing.
- October 7 – The Ateneo Blue Eagles win the UAAP Season 51 men's basketball tournament against the De La Salle Green Archers at Rizal Memorial Coliseum in Manila.
- January 6 – Mikael Daez, actor, basketball player and TV commercial, print and ramp model
- January 8 – Gretchen Espina, singer
- January 12 – Jessica Marie Robredo, Second Lady of the Philippines
- January 16 – Alex Gonzaga, TV host, actress
- February 14 – Javier Patiño, football player
- February 27 – Iain Ramsay, football player
- February 29 – Milan Melindo, filipino boxer
- March 2
- March 6 – Isabelle Daza, actress and model
- March 9 – Alodia Gosiengfiao
- April 2 – Ellen Adarna, actress and model
- April 6 – Melisa Cantiveros
- April 24 – Jinri Park, actress, model and radio dj
- May 2 – AJ Pareja, former Ateneo Blue Eagles men's volleyball player
- May 12 – Marky Cielo, actor and dancer (d. 2008)
- May 19 – Greg Slaughter, men's basketball player
- June 11 – Gabriel Valenciano, actor and dancer
- June 9 – Martin Steuble, football player
- July 7 – Venus Raj, Miss Universe 2010, 4th runner–up
- July 22 - Renz Ongkiko, news anchor model and journalist
- July 25 – Sarah Geronimo, Singer, actress and TV host
- August 24 – Helga Krapf
- August 29 – Iwa Moto
- September 2 – Heidi Gem Ong, former Ateneo Blue Eagles lady swimmer
- September 30 – Simon Greatwich, football player
- October 4 – Joseph Marco, actor
- October 5 – Maja Salvador, actress
- November 10 – Pauleen Luna, TV host, actress and wife of Vic Sotto
- November 19 – JC Santos, actor
- November 20 – Ariella Arida, Miss Universe 2013, 3rd runner–up
- November 28 – Daniel Matsunaga, actor and model
- December 4 – Yeng Constantino, singer
- December 25 – Heather Cooke, football player
- December 28 – AJ Banal, boxer
- June 2 – Shellanie Cuizon, Quality Analyst Wipro Philippines
- January 17 – Roy Padilla, Sr., Governor of the Philippines province of Camarines Norte (b. 1926)
- July 27 – Antonio Tantay, Olympic basketball player (b. 1920)
- August 21 – Teodoro de Villa Diaz, Filipino guitarist and composer (b. 1963)
- August 27 – Mario Montenegro, Filipino actor (b. 1928)
- September 12 – Mars Ravelo, Filipino graphic novelist (b. 1916)
- September 13 – Julian Banzon, Filipino biochemist and a National Scientist of the Philippines (b. 1908)
- September 27 – Teofilo Camomot, Roman Catholic archbishop from the Philippines (b. 1914)
- September 30 – Chino Roces, founder and owner of Associated Broadcasting Corporation and the Manila Times (b. 1913)
- October 31 – Gregorio F. Zaide, Filipino historian, author and politician (b. 1907)