1979 Sun-Drop Music City USA 420
|Race 11 of 31 in the 1979 NASCAR Winston Cup Series season|
|Date||May 12, 1979|
|Official name||Sun-Drop Music City USA 420|
|Location||Nashville Speedway, Nashville, Tennessee|
|Course||Permanent racing facility
0.596 mi (0.959 km)
|Distance||420 laps, 250.3 mi (402.8 km)|
|Weather||Hot with temperatures approaching 86 °F (30 °C); wind speeds up to 13 miles per hour (21 km/h)|
|Average speed||88.652 miles per hour (142.672 km/h)|
|Most laps led|
|Driver||Richard Petty||Petty Enterprises|
|No. 11||Cale Yarborough||Junior Johnson|
|Television in the United States|
By the following season, NASCAR had completely stopped tracking the year model of all the vehicles and most teams did not take stock cars to the track under their own power anymore. Only manual transmission vehicles were allowed to participate in this race; a policy that NASCAR has retained to the present day.
Nashville Speedway was converted to a half-mile paved oval in 1957, when it began to be a NASCAR series track. The speedway was lengthened between the 1969 and 1970 seasons. The corners were cut down from 35 degrees to their present 18 degrees in 1972.
Cale Yarborough would defeat Richard Petty by nearly three seconds after almost three hours of racing action. A small crowd of 16000 people would see only three caution periods (lasting 27 laps) and nine different changes concerning the leader of the race. Joe Millikan would get his only pole position start here; qualifying at speeds up to 104.155 miles per hour (167.621 km/h).
The finish was marred by controversy. Richard Petty and Bobby Allison asserted that Cale Yarborough was a lap down at the finish. Said Petty, "He lost one lap when he spun (with J.D. McDuffie), then he lost another when he spent 22 seconds in the pits." Allison agreed, saying, "Richard won this race and I finished second. I don't know how they had Cale winning."
A star-studded top ten finishing chart would include fan favorites like Bobby Allison, Dale Earnhardt, J.D. McDuffie, Richard Childress, Benny Parsons, Buddy Baker, Terry Labonte, and Ricky Rudd. Al Elmore and Steve Spencer would make their NASCAR Cup Series debuts during this race.
The entire racing purse for this event was $70,100 ($236,366.53 when adjusted for inflation). Yarborough would receive $12,275 for winning ($41,389.43 when adjusted for inflation) the race while last-place finisher Gant would only receive $360 of the total purse ($1,213.87 when adjusted for inflation).
Section reference: 
- Start: Joe Millikan was the driver who was leading the racing grid as the green flag was waved
- Lap 18: Harry Gant managed to blow his vehicle's engine
- Lap 32: J.D. McDuffie took over the lead from Joe Millikan
- Lap 36: Transmission issues managed to take Dick Brooks out of the race
- Lap 44: Darrell Waltrip took over the lead from J.D. McDuffie
- Lap 63: Buddy Arrington managed to blow his vehicle's engine
- Lap 73: J.D. McDuffie took over the lead from Darrell Waltrip
- Lap 95: Vehicle ignition problems managed to knock Nelson Oswald out of the event
- Lap 101: Darrell Basham managed to lose the rear end of his vehicle in a relatively unsafe manner
- Lap 124: Joe Millikan managed to blow his vehicle's engine
- Lap 140: Darrell Waltrip took over the lead from J.D. McDuffie
- Lap 142: J.D. McDuffie took over the lead from Darrell Waltrip
- Lap 147: Richard Petty took over the lead from J.D. McDuffie
- Lap 250: J.D. McDuffie took over the lead from Richard Petty
- Lap 277: Richard Petty took over the lead from J.D. McDuffie
- Lap 333: Cale Yarborough took over the lead from Richard Petty
- Lap 355: Frank Warren managed to blow his vehicle's engine
- Lap 356: A problem with the vehicle's clutch ended Baxter Price's hopes of winning the race
- Finish: Cale Yarborough was officially declared the winner of the event
Standings after the race
- Weather information for the 1969 Sun-Drop Music City USA 420 at the Old Farmers' Almanac
- 1979 Sun-Drop Music City USA 420 racing information at Racing Reference
- 1979 Sun-Drop Music City USA 420 racing information at Race Database
- 1979 Sun-Drop Music City USA 420 at Fantasy Racing Cheat Sheet
1979 Winston 500
|NASCAR Winston Cup Series Season
1979 Mason-Dixon 500