1968 in Japan
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Other events of 1968|
List of years in Japan
Events in the year 1968 in Japan.
- Emperor: Hirohito
- Prime Minister: Eisaku Satō (Liberal Democratic)
- Chief Cabinet Secretary: Toshio Kimura until November 30, Shigeru Hori
- Chief Justice of the Supreme Court: Masatoshi Yokota
- President of the House of Representatives: Mitsujirō Ishii
- President of the House of Councillors: Yūzō Shigemune
- April 1: 1968 Hyūga-nada earthquake
- April 1: Abukuma Express line opened
- April 12: Kasumigaseki Building opened, was the first modern office skyscraper and tallest building in Tokyo until 1970.
- May 16: 1968 Tokachi earthquake
- June 16: Terrorist incident on the Yokosuka Line kills 1.
- June 26: Bonin Islands returned to Japan by United States Navy after 23-year occupation.
- July 1: Postal code system adopted in Japan.
- July 7: Shintaro Ishihara and others are elected to the House of Councillors.
- August 18: 1968 Hida river bus accident, two charter buses occur debris flow, following push into Hida River, Gifu Prefecture, due after heavy torrential rain. According to local official confirmed report, 104 people lost to lives with one of worst road accident in Northeast Asia.
- October 21: New Left forces occupy Shinjuku Station for International Anti-War Day. Arrests are made.
- November 2: A resort hotel fire in Arima Spa, Kobe, Hyogo Prefecture, according to Fire and Disaster Management Agency official confirmed report, 30 person lost to lives, with 44 person wounded.