1766 English cricket season
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The 1766 English cricket season was the 23rd season following the earliest known codification of the Laws of Cricket. Details have survived of three eleven-a-side matches between significant teams.
- 19 June - Sussex v Hampshire - Racedown, Hampshire
- 29 September - Bourne v Dartford - Bourne Paddock
- 8 October - Chertsey v Hambledon - Dartford Brent
- ACS, p.23.
- Other matches in England 1766, CricketArchive. Retrieved 2019-02-10.
- London Evening Post (London, England), 8 May 1766 – 10 May 1766 (issue 6011), p 2, col 1; "On Thursday the 19th, will be played a Grand Subscription Cricket Match, play'd on the Race Down, between the Counties of Hampshire and Sussex. The Wickets to be pitched by Ten o'Clock."
- Buckley, p.4.
- ACS (1981). A Guide to Important Cricket Matches Played in the British Isles 1709 – 1863. Nottingham: ACS.
- Buckley, G. B. (1935). Fresh Light on 18th Century Cricket. Cotterell.
- Altham, H. S. (1962). A History of Cricket, Volume 1 (to 1914). George Allen & Unwin.
- Birley, Derek (1999). A Social History of English Cricket. Aurum.
- Bowen, Rowland (1970). Cricket: A History of its Growth and Development. Eyre & Spottiswoode.
- Major, John (2007). More Than A Game. HarperCollins.
- Maun, Ian (2011). From Commons to Lord's, Volume Two: 1751 to 1770. Martin Wilson. ISBN 978-0-9569066-0-1.
- Underdown, David (2000). Start of Play. Allen Lane.